Clinical depression is more that just feeling "blue" from time to time. It is a serious condition that affects a person's mind, body, and spirit and impacts every aspect of one's life. Depression is one of the most common mental health conditions affecting almost 10% of the population each year.
Here are some of the symptoms of depression:
- A depressed mood during most of the day, particularly in the morning
- Fatigue or loss of energy almost every day
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt almost every day
- Impaired concentration, indecisiveness
- Insomnia (an inability to sleep) or hypersomnia (excessive sleeping) almost every day
- Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in almost all activities nearly every day
- Recurring thoughts of death or suicide (not just fearing death)
- A sense of restlessness or being slowed down
- Significant weight loss or weight gain
If you feel you are suffering from depression, you may experience some, but not all, of these symptoms. Also keep in mind that you may experience other symptoms. Depression can also present in what may seem like odd ways - irritability in adolescents, for example.
The most important thing to remember is that depression is a treatable illness! I can diagnose and effectively treat depression, and also can arrange a medication evaluation, for patients who may benefit from psychiatric medication. Your first step is to schedule a diagnostic assessment with Maesk Group Counseling. After that assessment, we will develop a personal Plan of Care to address your unique situation. Remember, everyone is different, and we recognize that. Your Plan of Care will have the approach that is tailored to and is right for you.